New Zealand

Garden-Rail at its best





Home   How to Find Us Contact Us  



AFR 2000 Class....

Well it has happened the AFR is building freelance diesels, why well the main reason is cost. We are after something cheap & quickish to get into service & of course something different to what is on the market. I came up with this design as a compact diesel was required, the aristo-craft FB unit fitted the 2 requirements. These units seem to be the cheapest medium size diesels selling on e-bay plus there were plenty to choose from under the required budget.


Above Left; In due course the FB arrived safe & sound, it was tested on the railway with everyone quite empressed with its preformence. But the day arrived when it met its fate with a cut off wheel both front & back, we had thought of a single cab but it wasn't suited for point to point running! Above Middle; The roof ends have been capped & extra surports glued in to take the cab, all parts not required were taken off & stored for future projects. Above Right; The cab has been cut out of 1mm styrene.


Above Left; cab has been assembled with a foot step being installed under the door.  Above Middle; Test fitting the first cab in place it is already starting to take shape, I still have to putty & sand. Above Right; An extra pannel has been added to the roof to hide where the fan was as it had to be relocated at the other end between the exhaust & pannel of the 2nd cab.


Above Left; New fan & shroud has been made & relocated, I am still going to use the original fan grille.Above Middle & Right; Here is a before & after shot of the side grille arangement, I replaced the original clear plastic etched grilles with a security door mesh which looks far better. We can also see the posistion of the new cooling fan.


Above Left; I decided to go with a chopper coupling made by 10 Mille in England as these also fit my NZR choppers nicely, plus the big square face gives it a bit of solidness. The cowcatcher has been added awaiting the putty & sanding. Above Middle; Well hand rails , ditch lights, head lights & front lifting lugs have been added also sanding has been done ready for the paint shop!! Above Right; A head on view of all the extra detail.


Above Left; Wasn't happy with the orginal exhaust so made up a new one with a plate to cover the existing hole. Above Middle; Well I did it!! Forgot to get a photo of it in primer grey I was to carried away with the blue I had picked out it slipped my mind completely, next time! The main colour has been added it is a Royal Blue it is a deep blue the flash has made it quite bright in the pic. It is masked up ready for some black to break it a bit. Above Right; Black has been added masking is removed, really starting to take shape now.


Above 3 Pictures; The linning, number & logo has been added. Hand rails need to be painted white, light lenses need to be added & the cab windows need to be put in. Nearly Done!!

The Final Result


Above 3 Pictures; all done! Very pleased with the finished loco, it is a welcomed addition to Ashrails fleet.


Ashburton`s Model Train Show Email Layout Controller Webmaster

2009 - 2018 - ashrail.com - ashrail.co.uk - ashrail.co.nz