pictures on this page are pre-digital camera days!
She was built in 1874 by Yorkshire Engine Company Ltd, England. It
entered service in 1875 & was written off NZR books in 1953, then
it was bought by Canterbury Frozen Meat Co Ltd, Pareora where it
worked shunting at there freezing works until 1959 when she was
scrapped!! Above; F72 sitting outside her shed at CFM Pareora.
service in 2002 on AFR & was built
Bachmann 2-4-2 "Lyn" Spectrum chassis heavily modified to an 0-6-0
arrangement which gave ok running until in May of 2010 the Bachmann chassis finally
gave up so it is now running on a AFR Workshops chassis,
this loco now takes the honor of being the 1st loco to be
entirely built from scratch!! Details of the chassis work can be found
this is another pre-digital camera loco there are not to many
pics of the construction, so here we go! I decided to model an
older looking version of the F class with the pre-electric light
& tube cow-catchers so it may vary from proto-type
Left; F72 in its early stages, the cab was constructed with
styrene. The tank was made from mild steel rod to form the bottom
of the tank & 20mm flat at the top so all the wait is over the
drivers, styrene ribs were cut to the shape of the tank &
covered with a very thin styrene. The tank was then turned over
& filled with resin to fill the gaps so I had something to
rivet into. Boiler & smoke-box is from exhaust tubing ( you
may notice a lack of plastic tube or pipe being used, thats
because I was working as a general engineer at the time of
building), the rivet detail is the standard dress making pins
& the smoke-box door is the bottom of a soft drink can. Above
Right; A finished cow-catcher entirely made from styrene
Left; The westinghouse pump & air cylinders are finished,
ready to be fitted these were plastic knitting needles (always
think outside the square!), the pump alone had 14 pieces. Above
Right; Straight out of the paint shop the tank is finished!
The filler top & whistle are again the ole knitting needles
with the dome a piece of old nylon that was laying around.
Left; Detail has been added then painted, the cab roof also
added & riveted ready for painting. Funnel was made from nylon
where everything else is styrene. Above Right; Back view
with cab steps seen, I used Tenmille
chopper couplings with the square heads cut into rounds. Below;
The last shot of construction I could find, a closer view before
tank being fitted then everything being fitted to the chassis.
I only wish I
had taken more pictures at the different stages of construction of
this loco but I am not ruling out building a later version of this
wonderful looking locomotive class!! Below; The final
result with new chassis.