'ASHBURTON FORKS RAILWAY'

New Zealand

Garden-Rail at its best

 

The home of 

      ashrail.com - ashrail.co.nz - ashrail.in - ashrail.co.cc

ashrail.co.uk - ashrail.info - ashrail.us

        
       
Home   How to Find Us Contact Us  

 

        

 
 

Engine Shed

I have decided to construct a 2 bay NZR loco shed with pits, this is the first building I am having ago at so we will see how it goes!!

 

Above Left; The inspection pits (long ones) & ash pits/blow down area. All the measuring was done twice just to make sure it was correct otherwise the track spikes would split the side of the pits! Above Middle; The Pit bases are coated with a light grey ready for weathering at a later date. Above Right; The shed floor is built from 9mm MDF glued & screwed.

 

Above Left; All the wood has been cut & ripped to size, the timber used was some nice straight grained wooden pallets from work. 1 side & end wall up in place. Above Right; A62 brings in a load of trusses, in the background all 4 walls are up.

 

Above Left; The trusses are in place, I forgot to mention that all the joins are glued & pinned so it is very sturdy! Above Right; 1st of the purlins are being added to the trusses.

 

Above Left; A close-up of the purlin/framing detail on the roof for the vents to go through. Above Right; Roof finished ready for the vents & iron!!!

Below Left; A veiw of Ab730 & tender of Ja1268 already at home in the shed! 

 

Now that Ashburton Forks Railways engine shed is well on the way I have to decide what to clad the roof with. I have seen the soft drink/beer can through a set of rollers result but me being me decided to go another way! I thought why not use what I have, plus not wanting to purchase all that beer!!!!! Styrene was the way for me! For more information about the process I used can be found here {From the Workshop} Above Right; One side of the roof finished with all 150 sheets of iron pinned & glued in place. The interior has also been worked on with the smoke flues being made. Below Left; The main flue & chimneys ready to be assembled, Below Right; Chimneys in place ready for the paint shop. 

 

Below Left; The barge board has been added & the weather boards are being added, these measure 7mm x 1mm all ripped down on a home-built table saw from straight grained hardwood timber off pallets from work!! The weather boards are glued & pinned in place, there is a pin at the top of each board into every stud with the lap of the next board covering the pins. The bottom board across the door openings will be cut out when all the boards are in place, it is there just to steady things up. Below Right; A coat of black paint has been added to the underside of the roofing iron which really shows off the trusses, I am still undecided whether or not to paint or just lightly weather the inside wood work!

 

Below 2 pics; The 2nd side nearing completion, I was very surprized how quick the weather boards went on after I sorted out the gauging of the boards. Next the windows & the flashings!!! 

 

 

Above Left; A view of the front with the barge boards on & facing around the doors & corners finished. These were made with a slightly thinner & narrower piece of strip wood. Above Right; All the window holes have been cut out ready to place the newly built windows, construction of these can be seen here {From the Workshop}.

 

Above Left; Looking in the front with the L/H sides windows in place & showing the bracing detail on the walls.  Above Right; The smoke flues are in place with them being braced back to the trusses so all the inside roofing detail is complete!

            

Above Left; Smoke Flue detail on the outside with a sheet of the ole corrugated iron on the top. Above Right; A closer view of the flashing, I then sealed it with Marley Spouting Glue.

 

Above Left; Putting in the last side of windows, the weights are placed on to hold the windows in place til the glue sets. Above Right; Looking along the finished wall!!

The next step of course had to be the doors, once again out with the ole home-made sawbench to strip down a bit more timber! Below Left; The inside detail of the door, this was all glued. Below Right; Outside detail with the hinges in place, note there is an access door to the bottom left of the door.

 

 

Above Left; The main part of the hinge is made up of the trusty ole cardboard box staples, these were easily shaped with a pair pliers & a lot of patience!! These were drilled & riveted to the door, the other part is welding wire bent to shape with a piece of styrene glued on top to stop the doors falling off when tipped upside down. Above Right; The finished doors in place & swinging!!! The shed will be displayed with doors open, so when it comes time to ballasting etc there will be a couple of posts put in to hold them open. 

   

Above Left; One side of down pipes made up, these were made from the plastic balloon stems which have worked out very well! To the left of the picture is what I got for the spouting it is Plastruct Half Round Profile 5/16 ended up being the most expenceive cost in building the shed. Above Right; A simple u-clamp is made up from a dress makers pin to mount the down pipes to the walls of the shed.

                

Above Left; Spouting detail with the down-pipe in place. To mount the spouting I just used pins drilled into the top plate of the wall through the half round spouting which has made it quite sturdy! Above Right; Another view of the finished area. Below; Ab730 passing the engine shed, all we need now is the paint!!!

Above; One thing I forgot was how could the doors be kept open!! I came up with this, it is another packing staple & glued into place. Below; Ja1268 & Q17 sit with there fronts out of the shed.

     www.ashrail.com
Ashburton`s Model Train Show Email Layout Controller Webmaster

2009 - 2012 - ashrail.com - ashrail.co.uk - ashrail.co.nz