Once you have a
loco depot that services steam locos you need all the structures
that go with them!! It was decided to start with the basics and of
course you need water to make steam.
selecting the correct sized pipe for the job I scribed the sides
to get a timber effect, I found this easier then sticking strip
wood around the sides. Below Left; I used mig welding wire
for the bands & here can be seen how I secured it to the tank
by drilling 2 holes close to each other pushing the wire through
& beading it over then tightening around the tank, then
pushing it through the 2nd hole. Once through bead it over &
place a drop of glue to fasten it in place. Below Right;
The outside view with the wire all in place, I made some small
u-pins to help hold the wire in place & give a good effect.
Where the starting & finishing point is I placed a small piece
of half round over the join to make it look like a clamp. These
were made from an old lollipop stick!! (Nothing wasted)
The start of making the top, this is 2mm styrene grooved to look
like planking. We still have the access hatch to make. Above
Right; Tapered vat is on the left with the parallel on the
The legs, top & bottom surports are all cut to length with
attaching plates riveted to the legs. Above Right; 1 set of
surports ready to go with bracing applied.
views of the finished stand with all the bracing applied & the
bearers for the tank to sit on attached. The main foundations are
dressed timber that I will paint & weather as concrete later,
these are glued & screwed to the base board. The stand is only
screwed to these so the vat can me removed for transporting. Below
The stand is being attached to the Vat itself, glued & pinned
with weight being applied. Below Right; The laddersides
& rungs have all been cut, recessed ready for assembly.
Once the ladder was done the top of the vat had a top attached
which was scribed styrene with an access hatch, Below Right;
Also added was the lever arm detail with chain attached, the arm
was made & shaped from a cardboard carton staple which I have
found very useful in other projects as well!
This shows the detail of the bottom ot the tank all handrails are
construction tie wire & the hose is electrical shrink which
you can heat ever so lightly to keep its shape. Above Right;
Here's the finished vat ready for painting, the feed water pipe
from the baseboard to the tank is a couple of felt pen tubes which
have seem to have done the job. I have now made 3 round vats woth
the out side one now needing a refit for the 2nd time, this may
not happen due to other projects on the go. The 1st two pictures
below show the parallel vat followed by the tappered (ever so
slight! But it is there.).